“And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of war: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.”
First of all, because of a myriad of various prophecies happening today which were foretold to eventually lead up to the Last Days and the return of Jesus Christ at Armageddon, I have been somewhat confused by this particular verse. Yes, we have had wars and rumors of wars for thousands of years but in the context of Jesus’s response to His disciples on the Mount of Olives when asked when He would return, He responded with the above and then a few verses later in Matthew 24:8 He said “All these are the BEGINNING (capitals mine) of sorrows.” So, obviously He was talking about certain events in the Last Days that would cause sorrow but independently would not solely be the events that would end with His immediate Second Coming. I wrote about these wars in three previous posts, The War of Psalm 83, The War of Gog and Magog, and Is Turkey the REAL threat today to Israel? My intent is NOT to change anything I wrote previously but to perhaps better explain how ALL these wars could very well lead to Christ’s soon return, especially based on the many very serious things happening in the world and especially the Mideast TODAY!
First, if I may, let me give you a very brief synopsis of the three major wars described in the Bible and prophesied to occur in the Last Days. They are:
- The War of Psalm 83
- The War of Gog and Magog of Ezekiel 38 & 39
- The War of Armageddon primarily discussed in Daniel 11:40-45 and Revelation 16
Basically, the War of Psalm 83 talks about a future war where those nations directly surrounding Israel (Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon) would gather together and say in verse 4, “They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.” Doesn’t this sound an awful lot like what many in the Mideast are saying today? These people of the lands/nations attempting to destroy Israel in the Last Days ARE THE EXACT SAME ONES living in the lands listed in Genesis 15:18-21 which God gave to Abraham as part of His eternal Covenant to the Jews. While there have been numerous wars since the Jews returned, there has not been one YET where the Jews finally regained all the land God gave to them.
The next war critical to the fulfillment of Biblical prophesy is what is referred to as the War of Gog and Magog discussed in Ezekiel 38 & 39. This one is VERY different from the War of Psalm 83 in that the SIX named countries invading Israel are not their direct neighbors but instead are today primarily Muslim nations which DO NOT touch the borders of Israel. Those nations are Russia (not Muslim but they have an agenda to gain control of the Mideast), Turkey, Iran and several northern Africa nations. They will be led by Russia in an attempt to invade Israel but God will intervene, slaying 5 of every 6 of the invaders on the mountains of Israel. “And I will turn thee back, and leave but the sixth part of thee…” – Ezekiel 39:2. It will take 7 months to bury all the dead (“And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying them, that they may cleanse the land.” – Ezekiel 39:12) and 7 years to burn the implements of war. God’s direct intervention will also cause the Jews to finally recognize Him as their true God (“And they shall know that I am the Lord.” – Ezekiel 39:6). Most importantly, this war will be the turning point in the Jews recognition of God forever. “So the house of Israel shall know that I am the Lord their God from that day and forward.” – Ezekiel 39:22
The final war and perhaps the best known is the War of Armageddon where Christ returns and slays ALL of the world’s invaders of Israel and ALL that have taken the mark of the beast; throws the anti-christ and false prophet into the lake of fire and brimstone for eternity; and binds Satan for 1,000 years during His Millennium sin-free rule on earth. We know this battle will involve ALL the nations of the world, not just the few in Psalm 83 or the 6 listed in the War of Gog and Magog. This FINAL war is critical because it is Satan’s last attempt to disprove God’s Promise to the Jews thereby vindicating his original sin and the resulting punishment. Obviously Satan WOULD NOT be going to battle unless he had someone to try to defeat! While he will rule a one world government, economy and religion, he WILL NOT rule the Jews or those who come to believe in Jesus during the Tribulation period. This will be his last attempt to defeat all those who oppose him and his Satanic rule. Of course as the Bible tells us, Jesus will defeat him!
“And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years. And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled; and after that he must be loosed a little season.”
Again, for a more complete explanation on these wars and their Scriptural basis, please go to my previous posts. So, why are these predicted wars important today and especially, how do they pertain to prophecies which Jesus said would be “…the beginning of sorrows.”? The Books of the Psalms, Daniel and Ezekiel were written approximately 2,500 years ago while the Book of Revelation was written almost 2,000 years ago. They ALL pertain to a time when the Jews would be brought BACK to their God given land. After they are brought back to their God promised land, THERE WILL BE WARS (and rumours of wars)! But, Jesus says these will be the “…beginning of sorrows.” By this, I believe He is speaking of the many, many other trials and troubles of the Tribulation period, the final 7 years before His triumphant return at Armageddon.
If you are like me, you probably believe many signs today point to the fact we are living in the Last Days as prophesied in the Bible. Because we HAVE NOT YET seen these particular wars and if indeed we are in those days, then we must be very close to their ultimate fulfillment. Some of the recently observed developments which could lead to these wars coming to fruition are as follows:
- The UN, with the United States abstention under President Obama, voted in December 2016 the city of Jerusalem is being illegally occupied by the Nation of Israel even though that same government body voted in 1947 to allow the Jewish people those lands in Palestine including Jerusalem to be their homeland.
- President Trump recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and vows to move the U.S. Embassy there by May 14, 2018, the 70th anniversary of the refounding of the Nation of Israel. Of course this has caused much consternation within the Arab countries and many U.S. allies around the world.
- Sunni nations like Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Jordan that have been on peaceful terms with Israel and who recognize the greatest threat to their countries is a Shiite Iran are upset regarding the Trump move of the U.S. embassy to declare Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
- A brutal civil war in Syria has aligned Russia, Iran and Turkey in a NEVER before seen military pact to work together to destroy ISIS but also to keep the Assad regime in power. Is it coincidence these same three countries are predicted in Ezekiel 38 & 39 to invade Israel in the Last Days and to be TOTALLY defeated?
- Russia now has not only a naval base in Syria but recently added an air force base as well. One thing many do not know about is the prophecy regarding the total destruction of Damascus (in Syria). If the Israelis respond to a chemical attack on Israel and they wipe out Damascus as retribution, this could easily start the War of Psalm 83 and eventually encourage the War of Ezekiel 38 & 39. To learn more on this, read my post on God’s “Red Line” in Syria.
- Israel has attacked Iranian proxies Hezbollah and Hamas in the West Bank and in Lebanon and Syria for their attacks on Israel. While they are doing this in self defense, their Muslim neighbors will see it as the Jews trying to destroy their countries and will turn on Israel.
- Israel recently shot down an Iranian drone that had entered Israeli airspace.
- President Obama signed the infamous Iranian nuclear deal that supposedly caused Iran to cease their efforts for 10 years developing a nuclear bomb but which has enabled them to TRIPLE the number of missiles they are producing without fallout or sanctions from the other countries of the world. I wonder what they are planning to do with all those missiles…
With all this said, let me give you, I believe, a POSSIBLE scenario that could literally start at any time. Based on the above, I could easily see where Syria attacks Israel in such a way that Israel’s ONLY viable response would be to utterly destroy Damascus (home of the Assad regime) with a brutal counter attack. This could be a nuclear bomb to end their attacks once and for all but what we do know from the Bible (Isaiah 17:1-3) is Damascus will be utterly destroyed NEVER to be occupied again! That has never occurred in the history of the world! Those countries spoken of in Psalm 83 would then attack Israel to end their being a nation. Of course they would also be defeated and the land of Israel would be enlarged to those boundaries originally given by God to Moses in the Abrahamic Covenant. Other Arab countries like Turkey and Iran, led by Russia will then invade Israel only to also be defeated with 5 of every 6 of the invaders dying on the mountains of Israel.
It doesn’t stop here! I believe the world upon seeing this line of amazing successes by the Jews will decide it is finally time to establish a “peace treaty” between the Jews and the rest of the world. We know it is the anti-christ who will get the parties to the table and sign this agreement! This will finally give the Jews the right to exist in their God promised land AND to rebuild their third Holy Temple in Jerusalem on the Temple Mount. Since this agreement will be a 7 year agreement during which the world will go through the Tribulation many believe the final decision to resolve the right of the entire city of Jerusalem to belong to the Jews will be “put off” for 7 years. In other words, there will be a peace treaty signed but the ultimate decision on who “owns” Jerusalem will be decided 7 years later. At the end of that time, the world’s armies led by the anti-christ will go against Israel at Armageddon to finally defeat the Jews. But, the Jews have Jesus on their side and ALL the invaders will be slain by the Word coming out of the mouth of Jesus!
Recently many have been very upset by the decision to name Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and the resulting global upheaval decrying that decision. There are many wars going on in the area, whether it is ISIS, Syria, Hamas, Hezbollah, Boko Haram, Al Quaida, Yemen, etc. The one thing these all have in common, however, is a hatred of the Jews and America with our Judeo-Christian values. What amazes me beyond belief is Jesus Himself told us in the Last Days there would be “…wars and rumours of wars” but these are ONLY “…the beginning of sorrows”. We were told what to expect and what is coming! By itself those Words are so comforting so we need not be “troubled” when we actually see them occur. I am very comforted by His Words and I hope you are as well. Then we should do as WE are all instructed to do and that is to “…therefore comfort one another with these words.”
May God Bless you!