“Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgement come. And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more.”
No where in the Bible is America specifically named as America or the United States. How, you might ask, is it possible the single greatest, most powerful nation in the history of the world is not even mentioned once? Well, it actually is! In fact, there are numerous examples in Scripture that clearly identify the USA in the Bible and its place in Biblical end times prophesy. Remember, Iran (Persia) is not mentioned by the name Iran; Russia (Magog) is not mentioned by the name Russia; Turkey (Togarmah) is not mentioned by the name Turkey. Rather the Bible identifies these countries by their ancient names, lands they possess OR by the cities that the country is identified with. If I mention laws from Washington DC, you know I am speaking of the USA. If I talk about policies coming out of London, you know I speak of England. If Moscow is viewed as dangerous, most understand I speak about Russia, Because America is not named does not mean it has no relevance in the prophecies of the Last Days but rather that it is called something else.
First, There are several arguments why America does not appear to be named, important or even in existence during the End Times:
- Maybe the USA is THE final world government nation out of which the anti-christ will arise.
- It could be that America is not shown because it no longer exists or is irrelevant. In the end times scenario, imagine a vacuum that would occur in the world if the Rapture pulled all the Believers out of this world in the “…twinkling of an eye”. These would be, with many others, men and women in positions of power and influence in business, government, science, education, the Church, finance, etc.. This would cause a global meltdown that would affect the entire world and perhaps even eventually lead to the establishment of the anti-christ’s global government, religion and economy as foretold in the Bible. Which other major countries in the world would impact the entire world like the US if its Christian believers were “snatched” away in the twinkling of an eye? Russia, China, Europe, Saudi Arabia? I think not!
- Perhaps America will simply join forces with the reborn Roman empire the anti-christ will lead in the last days and fight with her at Armageddon.
- Or, finally, and most realistically based on Biblical prophesy, America will be destroyed for her sins, covetousness and idolatry in a one day/one hour God ordained attack to punish the USA and that will cause the Roman empire (Europe) then to be reborn to fill the vacuum left with America’s “departure” from the global stage.
My intent today is to show what the Bible says about America’s role in the Last Days and how we all can be on the watch for fulfillment of His numerous prophecies made. In the Bible are basically three Babylons, not one!. The first is the ancient city/country of Babylon which had it’s beginning under Nimrod and was the site for the Tower of Babel. The Tower of Babel was man’s intent to build a “stairway” to heaven so they could be like God.
“And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children builded. And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they all have one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.”
There is a well documented history of the city of Babylon. It and the land surrounding were never totally destroyed as God said Babylon the Great would be. It’s people lived on and still are there today. The second Babylon is referred to in the Bible as Mystery Babylon and most Biblical scholars recognize this as the one world church that will arise in the last days under the auspices of the False Prophet, the anti-christ’s second-in-command:
“And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. And I saw a woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her which hath seven heads and ten horns.”
Clearly, the angel was describing a “religion” (woman) led by the close confidant of the anti-christ. We know this because the Bible identifies the Last Days empire the anti-christ will rule for 42 months or 3 1/2 years as the reborn Roman Empire (Europe) made up of “…seven heads and ten horns” with its headquarters in Rome. How do we know this? Because a little further on in Revelation 17:9 the angel describes where the church will be located, “And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sitteth.” What other city in the entire world is known for residing on seven mountains or hills? Only Rome! I do not intend to insult my believing Catholic friends but realize when the Rapture has occurred previously to the rise of the anti-christ and the false prophet, the TRUE Christians would have already been snatched away to Heaven to be with Christ in the same way Noah and Lot were taken out of harms way during the Judgement of God. Those remaining will NOT be Believers in Christ but through lies and deceit will convince the world their religion is the TRUE religion, even if it demands worship of the anti-christ as God.
The final possibility of America filling the role of “Babylon the Great” in the Last Days are a number of prophecies describing her in a way that not only fits America to a tee but absolutely eliminates all other nations that do not even come close to fulfilling the prophecies about Babylon the Great. Unfortunately, it is NOT good news for America!! Basically, the Bible says Babylon (from here forward known as the United States of America) will be attacked and destroyed by attackers from the North. More on that later but let me first give you just a few of the examples in the Bible and from Bob Fraley in his great book The Last Days in America which identifies this Babylon the Great today:
- One of the youngest or newest of nations – “Your mother (United Kingdom) shall be sore confounded; she that bare you shall be ashamed: behold the hindermost (last) of the nations shall be a wilderness.” – Jeremiah 50:12. America is only 250 years old where most other countries are thousands of years old..
- Born from another country – See above. Most recognize the start of the USA were immigrants that left England for religious freedom
- A world military power – “How is the hammer (military) of the whole earth cut asunder and broken! (note in the Bible this is exclamation point, not a question mark) how is Babylon become a desolation among the nations! (again, exclamation point)” – Jeremiah 50:23. The best military in the world that not only protects America but many of our allies.
- Arrogant and proud – “Behold, I am against thee, O thou most proud, saith the Lord God of hosts: for thy day is come, the time that I will visit thee.” – Jeremiah 50:31. We all feel America is always right in everything we do.
- A land made up of people from all over the world – “A sword is upon their horses, and upon their chariots, and upon all the MINGLED (people from around the world) people that are in the midst of her (live there); and they shall become as women: a sword is upon her treasures; and they shall be robbed.” – Jeremiah 50:37. While we pride ourselves on being welcoming to all people, the fact is that no other country is comprised almost 100% of immigrants over the past 2-300 years.
- A nation that started out Godly – “Babylon hath been a golden cup in the Lord’s hand” – Jeremiah 51:3. What other country in the history of the world has proclaimed God’s Word like America? Now, political correctness does not allow us to pray in schools or put up Christmas scenes of Christ in the manger. We are forced to separate Church from State.
- The wealthiest of countries of all time for all its peoples – “O thou that dwellest upon many waters, abundant in treasure, thine end is come, and the measure of thy covetousness” – Jeremiah 51:13. The next biggest economy in the world, China is HALF the size of America’s. Russia’s economy is half the size of the state of California! And, we still want more!
- A nation that dwells upon many waters. See above. What other countries in the history of the world sit on the greatest of all oceans; the Atlantic, the Pacific, the Gulf of Mexico, the Great Lakes, the Mississippi River, etc.? Who else could the Bible be speaking about?
- Space travelers and inventor of the airplane – “Though Babylon shall mount (fly) up to heaven, and though she should fortify the height of her strength, yet from me shall spoilers come unto her, saith the Lord.” – Jeremiah 51:53
- Land of the occult and false doctrines – “And he cried mightily with a strong voice saying, Babylon the great is fallen and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird”. – Revelation 18:2
- A global economic power – “For all nations have drunk the wine of the wrath of her fornications, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.” – Revelation 18:3
- The impact of the Rapture on America and her once important Christianity – “And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye not be partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.” – Revelation 18:4
There are many, many more examples of how American fulfills the identification regarding Babylon the Great in the Last Days in a way that no other country could match. I encourage you to read Fraley’s book to learn more. If you agree with me that America fits these descriptions and want to know what now happens to America as prophesied in the Bible, it is not pretty! Because of the gifts given to us since our founding but then using our influence to reshape the world into our way of thinking, America aka Babylon the Great will pay a price that will eliminate her from involvement in the end times. We will NOT be a part of the anti-christ’s final empire. We will NOT be at Armageddon fighting the bad guys. We will quite simply be obliterated for our governmental support of abortions, homosexuality, covetousness, rampant drug abuse, etc. One example is prior to Roe vs. Wade, only two countries in the world allowed abortion rarely and only then in regards to the health of the mother. Today, because of our State Department’s active promotion of abortion in all countries, abortion is now an acceptable way of life around the world. Since 1973, over 52 million American God created babies alone have been aborted and touted as a woman’s right to choose.The US promoted this! Also, instead of being a friend to Israel, we pay $300 million a year to the Palestinians who then use that money to reward the families of jihadists who kill Jews. As God said, “I will bless those that Bless you and curse those who curse you.” Genesis 12:3. America is to be judged by God! So, what does the Bible say about the final destruction of America/Babylon the Great?
“For, lo, I will raise and cause to come up against Babylon an assembly of great nations from the north country (Russia, China, North Korea?); and they shall set themselves in array against her; from thence she (Babylon) will be taken: their arrows (nuclear weapons?) shall be as of a mighty expert man; none shall return in vain.”
“Put yourselves in array against Babylon round about: all ye that bend the bow, shoot at her, spare no arrows (nuclear missiles?): for SHE HATH SINNED AGAINST THE LORD (capitals mine).”
“And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning. Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgement come.”
I consider myself an American citizen with conservative Christian values. I do not wish ill on our country! But the time is coming when our country will pay the price for going against God’s Will for us. Are we the only ones to be affected or punished? Absolutely not! We know from other prophecies regarding the End Times that there will be major wars, earthquakes, famines, Armageddon, etc. Now we know the USA is specifically named in end times prophecy (outside of our fulfillment of being the Babylon the Great as shown above) for a reason. By eliminating the USA through both the Rapture and the destruction of Babylon the Great, the world will seek a “leader” to take our place opening the door for the anti-christ and his false prophet to initiate a 42 month global government, a world economy and one religion which will all be ended with Christ’s triumphant return at Armageddon. I believe most would agree that can never occur so long as America has their premier place or military, economic, scientific power in the world.
The beauty of God’s message is that we have His Promise for everlasting life in Heaven if we only accept that Christ died for our sins and ask for His forgiveness. That, along with the soon coming Rapture and knowing I will not have to go through the horrific events that will happen to the USA and on the earth is very comforting. I hope that God’s Word as shown above will bring others to know Christ as I do. It is that peace and comfort that I hope to “…comfort one another with these words.” I hope you share this message with your friends and comfort them as well.